Request for Expression of Interest CON/XK/23-90
FOR THE CONSULTANCY CONTRACT OF:
- Duty Station of the Consultancy: Prishtina, Kosovo (UNSC 1244)
- Duration of Consultancy: 35 days – starting on 15 September 2023
- Nature of the consultancy: IT Consultant to support the Kosovo Police / Department of Borders / Directorate for Migration and Foreigners.
Project Context and Scope:
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing the project “Enhance migration governance through evidence-based programming and strengthening capacities of authorities in Kosovo” funded by The Swiss Confederation/State Secretariat for Migration (SEM). The overall objective of this project is to contribute to enhancing migration governance through an evidence-based and holistic approach and maximize migration potential to achieve sustainable development outcomes in Kosovo*. In particular, the project will strengthen the capacities of authorities in Kosovo to enhance migration management by further developing skills, knowledge and processes of relevant institutions, expanding migrant admission capacities, providing technical and logistical support, enhancing data collection in various areas, increasing awareness of people from Kosovo to prevent irregular migration, and increasing engagement with the diaspora.
In order to strengthen Kosovo's Border Police Department, the Swiss Government has provided the department with biometric equipment. The equipment can be used to register and identify foreign citizens. To ensure the interconnection and interoperability of the equipment, there is a need to develop software, which in addition to registering biometric data of migrants, also enables the preservation and integration of the data on all of the existing platforms used by Directorate for Migrants and Foreigners.
The Project will support the Border Police to develop a new software, which will enable the storage of data, identification documents, and other scanned digital biometric documents. Data protection will be ensured throughout the process. The software will utilize the AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems) database, which compares collected fingerprints and photos. The software will also need to provide real time information on findings during verification and data collection.
The software will be connected to other databases used by the Border Police and Ministry of Internal Affairs, such as KPIS (Kosovo Police Information System), BMS (Border Management System), DCAM, and KVIS (Kosovo Visa Information System). The aim is to install the software's application for accessing the database on all computers used by officials that will be responsible for the registration and identification of foreigners. Through the database, the software will generate statistical reports based on the needs of the Border Department and the DMF (Directorate for Migrants and Foreigners).
The primary objective is to hire an expert with specialized knowledge and experience to prepare a comprehensive Report with detailed recommendations for the biometric enrollment project's implementation.
The main purpose of the project for digitalization of migrants registration is:
- To gather/collect digital data evidence of migrants and police actions and interactions related to them.
- Effective storage of work data and efficient use of work data of the Directorate for Migration and Foreigners.
- Generate statistical reports which derive from analytical reports conducted by Kosovo Police.
- Create an easy process of finding information for foreign nationals and quick provision of migration information for foreigners, in Kosovo, based on the competencies of the local and central level and based on the immediate need to be informed, thus complying with the legal provisions on the Law on Foreigners Nr. 06 L-219, Law on Asylum Nr. 06/L-026, and the Law on personal data protection Nr. 06/L-082.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing
Kosovo Police / Department of Borders / Directorate for Migration and Foreigners.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment
- First deliverable - Conduct a detailed review of review of existing documents, SOPs and Regulations related to the registration of migrants (3 days).
- Second deliverable - Analyze current systems, data management practices, and reporting structures (5 days).
- Third deliverable - Identify technical requirements and provide recommendations (3 days).
- Fourth deliverable - Identify and engage relevant stakeholders to gather insights (3 days).
- Fifth deliverable - Develop a comprehensive ToR that includes background, objectives, scope, methodologies, technical specifications, timeline, budget, quality assurance, risk management, and other essential components (15 days).
- Sixth deliverable - Submit drafts for review and incorporate feedback. (2 days).
- Final deliverable - Provide a final ToR document and an executive summary (4 days).
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
- Inception report outlining the approach and plan.
- Periodic reports and presentations.
- Requirement’s analysis document.
- Software development plan: detailed project work plan, with milestones.
- System design and implementation document.
- Complete UAT and resolve issues.
- Prepare Technical Software Documentation, User Guides and User Manuals and conduct Training.
- Draft ToR for review.
- Final ToR document with an executive summary.
Education, Experience and skills required
- Minimum M.A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information System or related fields from an accredited academic institution. A PHD degree is highly preferable in relevant fields.
- Certification in project management.
- Certification in databases and / or programming/ software development will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in IT, respectively Databases, Database Development and Application Administration, System Analysis and Design for IT project implementation, Digitalization process and performance of similar tasks, in public institutions is required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in preparing Terms of Reference (TOR) for complex projects.
- Experience with Data Integration and System Integration with relevant public institutions.
- Experience with Project Management (Project must be related with software and integration).
- Experience with Biometric Equipment and Biometric Enrollment Processes.
- Experience in the field of migration governance, data management or diaspora engagement is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with the Directorate for Migration and Foreigners, Department of Borders policies and priorities.
- Proven in-depth knowledge and analytical skills for understanding of the complex data and computer systems, in identifying inefficiencies, analyzing weaknesses or security threats of the IT systems.
- Experience in police work is desirable, with particular emphasis on the creation and
maintenance of border police databases, regarding the issues of migration and foreigners.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking.
- Advanced analytical skills and commitment to detail.
- Ability to take initiative, identify gaps and propose solutions.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on own initiative.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to multitask, prioritize effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other relevant software tools.
- Proficiency in English and Albanian languages, both written and spoken. Knowledge of additional languages will be considered an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Kosovo will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
*All references to Kosovo should be understood in reference to the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 (1999).