Who We Are
WHO WE AREThe International Organization for Migration (IOM) is part of the United Nations System as the leading inter-governmental organization promoting since 1951 humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all, with 175 member states and a presence in over 100 countries. IOM has had a presence in Kosovo since 1999.
Our WorkAs the leading inter-governmental organization promoting since 1951 humane and orderly migration, IOM plays a key role to support the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through different areas of intervention that connect both humanitarian assistance and sustainable development. Across Kosovo, IOM is implementing several programmes to the benefit of all Kosovars
- Data and Resources
- Take Action
- 2030 Agenda
For International Migrants Day 2022, the International Organization of Migration, Mission in Kosovo, reaffirms the importance of safe, orderly, and regular migration, and marks the contributions migrants make to the socioeconomic development of places of origin, transit, and destination.
A broad range of factors continue to determine the movement of people. Today, approximately 281 million people are international migrants living in a country other than their place of birth (WMR 2022) These persons influence the characteristics and scale of migration and are decisive in the strategies and policies developed to harness the many benefits that go hand in hand with migration. When well-managed, migration allows authorities and individuals to maximize the benefits and potential of human mobility. Migration can thereby become an important driver of sustainable development for both places of origin and destination, bringing significant benefits in the form of a strengthened labour force, skills gain and transfers, investments, financial resources such as remittances, as well as cultural diversity, which ultimately builds strong and more resilient communities. These are the stories that we would like to share in marking International Migrants Day 2022!
Faces of Migration 2022
This year, in celebration of International Migrants Day, the IOM Kosovo* launches the campaign “Faces of Migration”! The Mission is organizing a photo competition to showcase the different faces of migration of Kosovo*. The aim is to share stories of migration and mobility that in one way or another contribute to Kosovo’s* social and economic development. The stories can be related to diaspora contribution, labour migration and skills acquisition and transfer or returning to Kosovo* or other migration and mobility aspects.
The campaign will consist of two parts. The first part of the campaign is a digital photo exhibition. Compelling photos that meet all criteria (outlined below), will be posted on IOM Kosovo’s* digital platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and our designated webpage).
The second part of the campaign consists of a photo competition, which will culminate in a mobile physical photo exhibition. Using criteria developed by the IOM Kosovo*, and with the help of a selected jury, a number of photos, from the digital exhibition, will be selected for the mobile exhibition. The physical photo exhibition will be showcased in different locations in Kosovo*. The photo exhibition will be kicked off with a panel discussion in Pristina at the beginning of 2023.
Criteria for participation
- The photo should tell a personal migration story.
- The photo must have a resolution of at least 300 dpi in order to ensure good quality in digital and printed format.
- The photo should be accompanied by a short text about the person’s migration story. The text should be maximum 250 words and can be written in English, Albanian, or Serbian.
- Photos and texts with inflammatory, discriminatory, or inappropriate content will not be accepted.
- Photos showcasing flags, logos, or symbols will not be accepted.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to edit the picture in order to adapt it to both digital and printed formats.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to edit the text sent in order to adapt its content and length for both digital and printed formats.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to translate the text sent in order for it to be available in English, Albanian, and Serbian.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to share photos that meet the criteria in digital format on its website and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) as well as in any communication campaigns related to International Migrants Day and the photo exhibition.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to share the photos that are selected for the mobile physical exhibition (about ten photos) in the selected locations for the exhibition.
- The IOM Kosovo reserves the right to reject any photo without the need to provide justification.
- The photo and text must be sent together with the filled-in consent forms to: email@example.com with the subject line: "Faces of Migration 2022" - Name and Surname of the sender.
- The application (together with the photo and text) must be sent at the latest on Thursday the 5th of January 2023.
The IOM reserves the right to select the pictures at its sole discretion. If a picture is not selected, the content will be deleted from the IOM’s database. Only owners of the selected pictures and stories will be informed of the decision to move forward with the content provided.
- General consent forms
Photo and Text permission forms